Thursday, January 15, 2004

This is what life is really about-- opening up doors, windows, mouse holes-- any way in, any way out.

At thirty three years old, I have given my life over to wonder. I have chosen to look at the world, not out of anxiety, or how hard it is to live, or what I don't have, can't get, have never been given, but instead out of joy, and freedom, and adventure.

Oooh. Scary.

I quit my job as a high school teacher, so I could focus on being a writer, and artist, and someone who could teach others to be creative-- which is a far cry from what the New York City Department of Education said I had to do. I quit my job, nice safe secure job with benefits that I never even took advantage. Quit my job even though I loved teaching and loved my kids, because I had to follow my passion, even if I wasn't exactly sure what it would mean to follow my passion.

And of course, in New York City, if you quit a nice safe secure job to follow your passion, you still have to pay the rent. I tried to start some writing workshops, they didn't cover the rent. I hoped that reading tarot cards for my private clients would pay the rent, but it turns out, people only really need a reading once or twice a year-- so no rent there.

Back to the beginning, what I did when I got out of college-- oh yes. Waiting tables. I figured I might as well take advantage of living in Williamsburg Brooklyn

No comments: