Sunday, March 30, 2008

3/29 The Day of Grown Up Lady Things and High Tea

Leaving the house, despite babies crying and toddling towards me, arms outstretched, “mamamamamama!” My mother had to actually pull me out of the door to keep me from dragging the parting out.

Stopping for a coffee on our drive, where I got checked out by some hot Italian guy talking on his cel phone. Maybe I am not completely mommied out.

Driving out to St Pete beach, where my future SIL was having a bridal shower. Driving around down there, since we were early, looking at all the houses on the water, some mansions, some cottages… thinking it would be a really cool thing to rent a little house out on the beach for a year or two, enjoying the best of St Pete, before we pack up and move on to California (this would be before we had to send G to school.)

Meeting SILs family and friends and realizing that I am not as antisocial as I thought I was. I did quite fine in the room full of strangers, being helpful, making jokes, getting along. That’s right. This period of isolating childrearing is not actually the totality of who I am.

High Tea. Tea in a tea pot, little sandwiches, scones. Fruit w chocolate. Oh, and Mimosas.

I won one of the games at the shower, a memory game where I had to list all the items she’d shown from a bag. I only missed one. I am not as mommy-brained as I thought I was.

Meeting up with S and the kids and my step father after the shower. Realizing that without me around all the time, Ivy does a lot friendlier and is less clingy when she does see me next. Time for mama to get out more.

Uncle sharing some of his old work (animation) with us, and then telling us the plot of this serial story he was working on. Great story. I think it should be a novel, myself, and I am trying to convince him that he should write it. He once wrote a science fiction novel that was pretty good, but gave up on getting it published.

Spending some quality time with S. He seems to be getting back to himself which is a good thing all around.

No comments: