Wednesday, April 16, 2008

4/16 The Day of Interviews and Perfect Walks

Leftovers in general, and last night’s leftovers in particular. What a lovely quick lunch. Oven fried chicken and rice with peas. The peas tasted particularly good in the rice. Yay mama.

The weather. It is quite cool for Florida, cool enough for the heat to come on in the house, but for a walk, it is brilliant. There’s not a cloud in the sky and the sun is nice and hot, but the air still has the little nip, so you never get too hot or too cool as you walk.

Walking the nine or so blocks back to the house from the interview, I called my old friend N to tell her that they would be calling her for a reference. We’ve worked together on and off since 1994. So good to hear from her. She’s taking drawing classes and is enraptured with it. I knew she had an artistic sensibility, but she was always insecure about painting or drawing. I do wish she was around, but at least we can talk on the phone and reconnect.

While talking on the phone with N, I started describing where I was and what I was doing and what I was seeing right there in the moment. I told her about the bright blue sky and the tall palm trees and the broad oaks and the pretty bungalows that I was passing as I walked. And, oh! the huge jasmine vine covering a fence. Aside from the various happinesses of all these things, it made me happy to be in the present and paying attention to it as it happened.

Taking a sprig or two of jasmine from the sprawling vine and tucking it in buttonhole of my jacket (yes, it is cool enough for a light jacket.) Then coming home and putting the jasmine into an old aspirin bottle. I intend to put it on my bedside table. Yes. I do. That’s a very good idea.

Making a fresh pot of coffee after deciding that one pot is not enough for three coffee fiends (uncle is on vacation this week, working on his cartoons feverishly and needs sustenance.) Usually I just sit and grumble about how every body is drinking my coffee and have a cookie or two instead.

Oh, and I haven’t got the job yet, but it seemed like a good possibility. The hours are just right to give me enough time with the kids and not be too hard to cover with childcare when S gets a job. That has to be a plus for them, because they said it was difficult to find someone who only wanted a few shifts, not full time. And I think it helped that I have lots of family here and that I was a teacher, since both bosses have connections to teaching. I guess I’m just waiting for the yay or nay call.

One good thing about not getting the job immediately is that I can be on vacation for a little longer. Don’t have to jump up and start working right away. Well, if being a full time mom to two toddlers is ever a vacation. Heck, a job waiting tables might be the vacation.

No comments: