Wednesday, May 21, 2008

5/21 The Day of The World's First Rosymamacita Roast Chicken, Some Critters, and Doing, Not Just Talking

G caught a lizard today! He was looking at it sitting on the bromeliad, pointed it out to me and then all of a sudden, his hand darts out and BOOM! He’s holding it. It surprised him so much that he dropped it and it raced off into the bushes. I think it scared him a little, but it also made him even more interested in lizards. S and Uncle were both proud of him, too, and amazed that he was fast enough and coordinated enough to catch a lizard.

G also found a little baby frog. I thought he was exclaiming about some ants or a plant, but he kept saying no and and pointing until I came over and looked, and there it was, about the size of a dime and gray green. Jump! Jump! I don’t think it could get back into the pond. Then Papa came and picked it up and put it back, talking to G about being gentle with them. G was then very much more interested in frogs, walking around saying “frog, frog.”

Oh, then there was the time that he was watching the unripe mangoes hanging from the tree, pretending that he was going to get them, and looking for my reaction, but really he wasn’t.

And he and Ivy baked a “cake” of dirt.

G had many garden moments today, but Mama had a big one, too. I finally roasted a whole chicken for the first time in my life. And it came out DELICIOUS! I mixed and matched some Martha recipes and some Allrecipes.com recipes and made some potatoes to go with it and boiled some ears of corn. Next time, I’ll make more, because there are no leftovers.

The kitchen was so hot that we decided to eat in the garden. That was nice. Cool, with lizards and frogs and avocado trees. The kids cleaned their plates and then tried to clear ours. The adults had beer or wine. Then the kids went off to play some more and the adults sat and chatted. Yay mamacita.

Oh, and I just applied for a blogging post at a group blog that might pay if I get enough clicks or whatever. It’s a start. It’s actually the first freelance thing I’ve ever applied to, well, for pay. And I joined some other groups and newsletters to get links to jobs. Basically, I took the first steps towards actually being a freelancer, rather than just talking/writing about maybe doing it.

No comments: