Sunday, May 11, 2008

5/10 The Night of My First Job (In 3 Years, Anyway)

Finally making money, instead of only spending it.

Finding out that the working thing comes right back, and I’m still good at it.

Talking to one of the other waitresses and finding out that she’s an artist and a writer, and many other things similar to me. And that all explained why I liked her right off, before I even knew anything about her.

And maybe it sounds like evil mama, but it made me happy to walk out the door this afternoon, while the boy was in melt down mode. It just wasn’t my job to deal with it right then.

Feeling frequently that I was almost on vacation while I was waiting tables. It was kind of a kick, getting to have adult conversations and just chit chatting with folk and not having to get kids fed and changed and put to bed. I’m sure it will be different when I get wrapped up in whatever drama goes on wherever I am, but right now, it’s just a change.

Oh yeah, it pays to befriend the woman who makes the schedules. I do not have to work on mother’s day! My tentative schedule was Saturday and Sunday, but ended up Sunday free. And I asked her for Sundays off, period, so I could spend time with family and she said no problem. I think I will try to stay on her good side.

No comments: