Wednesday, April 30, 2008

4/30 The Day of "This is What it's Like to Be Alive."

“This is what it’s like to be alive.” Robert Hass on poetry and what poets are saying.

Poetry talk on PBS, last day of Poetry Month. I like that the poet is not some young buck, but a man who has lived and shows that he lived. There is still hope, there is always hope.

Bedtime, with the girl running around and rolling in her baby alligator death-roll ways, trying to get away from or lure sleep. The boy sitting on the bench while papa reads him a book. Every rhyme makes him laugh, and he repeats the last word. “Cake!” “Buy!” “You!”

The boy ate the chili! Not when I called it chili, but when I called it soup and fed him from my spoon, he said, “mmm,” and asked for more. He also ate some rice, as long as it had soysauce on it. And a bite of corn. Hmm. This week, he has been very adventurous with food…knock on wood, I hope it continues.

Letting the kids play in the cabinet at my feet, with pots and pans…until it got too rowdy and they had to leave the kitchen. It gives hope for a time when I will be able to cook with them in the same room.

Midday movie, the benefits of being unemployed.

My bad back has allowed me to spend all my spare moments laying down, without guilt. I don’t have to get things done, I just need to relax and stretch out what has been pulled, until the little ones demand I get up and chase them or lift them or whatever it was that screwed it up in the first place.

And it is, once again, ANTM. I hope the young girls/wannabe models will make me laugh with their pathos and sigh at their beauty.

No comments: